Monday, April 17, 2017

Heart Week (the week of April 10 - April 16)

Heart week! How else could I say it? It was the most fun that I have had in bio this year. We started the week with an episode of "Blood and Guts" that put together the history of heart surgery (which was super interesting and I can't wait to watch the rest of the series during vacation).
The next day was familiarizing ourselves with the outer heart anatomy, the hearts were still slightly frozen at this time so there was little blood to clean up and practically no smell.
Day 2 with the heart was cutting it open and growing familiar with the inner anatomy, and it was so cool! The only part that really grossed me out was cutting through connective tissue (it reminded me of  the  skin between the forefinger and thumb and it just freaked me out once I thought of that) and the smell once it heated up (coupled with the mice, ew!).
Through this week, my love for the heart grew and my familiarity with the anatomy. Also, smooth muscle feels so soft and I wanted to just pet the heart the entire time.

No comments:

Post a Comment